Cognitive Assessment & Rehabilitation
Evergreen Rehab Services offers Cognitive Assessments to identify limitations in cognitive skills such as your inability to focus, memorize and process information.
We assess areas of cognition including:
- Attention -- your ability to focus on someone or something.
- Visual Processing -- your ability to perceive, organize and integrate visual information.
- Information Processing -- your ability to receive, integrate and analyze information.
- Memory -- your ability to retain, consolidate and retrieve information.
- Executive Functions -- your level of self-awareness of your ability to plan, initiate, perform and self-monitor higher-level thinking, such as making decisions and solving problems.
- Cognitive assessments are completed in a controlled, quiet environment and/or in a community setting to acquire real life information of how you perform daily tasks such as running errands, juggling activities, engaging in your community and problem solving.
In addition to your cognitive assessment, your Evergreen Occupational Therapist will collect important collateral information from some of the pertinent people in your life.
What is Cognitive Rehab?
Cognitive rehab uses remediation (reversing or stopping damage) and compensation (learning how to do things differently) to get you as fully functional as possible for the long term.
In addition to these two approaches, Evergreen Rehab Services believes that a successful cognitive rehab program must involve ongoing education on the impact of injury or illness and activities to learn and apply new skills in real life situations.
What is involved in Cognitive Rehab?
A cognitive assessment is required prior to engaging in a Cognitive Rehab Program to ensure that the program is tailored to your specific needs.
Cognitive Rehab sessions are completed on a one-on-one basis. Cognitive exercises aimed at restoring brain function are usually computer-based (e.g. Cogmed Working Memory Training Program) or pen-paper tasks that are challenging, repetitive and require a strong commitment to elicit the best outcomes.
Contact us for an Assessment or Make a Referral
You can access our cognitive assessment & rehabilitation services in most areas of Vancouver, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, New Westminster and Coquitlam. Please call Evergreen Nursing & Rehab today at 604.264.7959. For submitting a referral, please fill out our referral form.